The hospitality industry is one of the world's largest employers. There is a growing demand for hospitality graduates with business management skills and training. Our BTEC Accredited courses gives you a real advantage in these competitive industries and prepares you to meet high standards of professional excellence. ihti is one of the best and highly ranked cooking colleges in Kenya
ihti offers the following programmes:
Full Time Courses
- BTEC HND HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
- BTEC HND CULINARY ARTS
- Food and Beverage Operations
- Front Office Operations
BTEC HND HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
The BTEC Higher National Diploma in International Hospitality Management is a 3 year programme of study that is focused on the acquisition of entrepreneurial and management skills. You will be able to apply to high positions in management of hotels and hotel chains around the world, as well as to open your own business - a restaurant, guest house, event Management Company or even a hotel.
The programme of study blends specialized hands-on training with the general business skills required in hotel operations. The course is broken down into two terms of on campus classes and one industry placement for each year of study.
- Contemporary Hospitality Industry
- Rooms Division Operations
- Food and Beverage Operations
- Customer Service
- The Developing Manager
- Marketing in Hospitality
- Conference and Banqueting Management
- Hospitality Operations Management
- Small Business Enterprise
- Wine and Bar Operations
Programme includes following units:
BTEC HND CULINARY ARTS
The BTEC Higher National Diploma in Culinary Arts is a two year program providing students the opportunity to develop their skills through classroom theory, food production demonstration followed by hands-on practical application in a professionally-equipped kitchen.
As part of this dynamic environment, students are immersed in the culinary / hospitality world, spending a significant time in theory as well as practical’s in the kitchen applying skills and techniques. Students find themselves immersed in stimulating creative environments where dedicated, professional chef-instructors pass on their skills, experience and knowledge.
Our culinary arts programs are for those looking for a solid culinary arts education, starting on the path as a culinary professional in restaurants, hotels, resorts, professional kitchens, and more.
- Menu Planning and Product Development
- Planning and Managing Food Production
- Contemporary Gastronomy
- Creative Patisserie
- Nutrition and Diet
- Hotel and Catering Law
- Conference and Banqueting Management
- Food and Beverage Control
- Food Production Practical’s
Units included are:
Food and Beverage Operations
The Certificate in Food & Beverage Operations introduces the functions, operations and organisation of the food and beverage department in the hospitality industry. The course provides information on service principles, menu design and objectives, and restaurant layout and design considerations.
The course covers:
- Relationship between the food and beverage department and other hotel departments, such as room service and the stewarding department.
- Organisation and key duties of restaurant staff, including floor staff and kitchen staff, from apprentice to managerial levels.
- Implementing best practices to restaurant staffing and procedures
- Classification of food and beverage services, based on market segments and customer types, such as the leisure, student and industrial markets.
- Understand the different types of menu, the objectives of menus and the comparison among different menu types.
- Basic food and beverage services such as table setting, with a focus on the procedures and items required.
- Menu planning, menu design and the considerations involved in the process.
- Restaurant design and layout as well as the functional considerations involved in restaurant ambience, and the features that can help to create an ambience depending on the restaurant type.
- Skills and knowledge are needed to be able to manage a restaurant effectively with proper use of resources. How to implement best practices in motivating, and monitoring team members.
Front Office Operations
The Certificate in Front Office Operations is designed to provide students with an understanding of front office procedures in the hospitality industry. Students will understand, organize, perform and evaluate front office functions that are critical to the success of a hotel. Students will be trained in the importance of guest service, along with the any technical aspects of front office management. It emphasises the importance of high standards in personal qualities and the provision of customer service.
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the key functional areas of front office
- Describe the function and activities of the reservations, reception and cashiers departments
- Analyse guest accounting processes
- Review the use yield management, statistics and reports within the front office operation
- Explain the importance of security and safety within rooms division including key legislation for reception operations
- Describe the key features of the communication services available to guests
- Explain the role front office plays in in selling hotel services and facilities
The short courses are designed to provide you with a broad and flexible skill set that will enable you to adapt to a wide variety of career opportunities. The short courses are a popular choice for many, especially for those with time constraints. ihti offers numerous Short Courses in specific areas, such as:
- Cookery Level I (60 Hours)
- Cookery Level II (60 Hours)
- Pastry Level I (60 Hours)
- Pastry Level II (60 Hours)
- Customer Service(60 Hours)
- Event Management(60 Hours)
- Management Development (60 Hours)
- Wine and Bar Knowledge(60 hrs / 6 Months)
- Food and Beverage Service Techniques(60 hrs / 6 Months)
- Food and Beverage Service Supervision (60 hrs / 6 Months)
Careers in the Hospitality Industry
Hotel & Resort
- Hotels, Resorts and Clubs
- Food & Beverage
- Facilities Management
TECHNOLOGY AND LOGISTICS
- Hospitality Information Technology
- Logistics Management
- Real Estate Development
- Management Consulting
- Travel and Tourism
- Cruise Lines
- Promotion and Sport Management
- Agency and Personal Management
- Event and Venue Management
- Fitness, Health and Spa Management
ENTERTAINMENT AND LEISURE
- Entertainment and Leisure
- Entertainment and Amusement
- Theme Parks
OTHER SECTORS AND SERVICES
- Human Resources
ihti places great emphasis on practical training and hands-on-experience. Accordingly, ihti endeavours to place all its students in the finest establishments for internships. These internships constitute course modules and are closely supervised and evaluated. Successful completion of the same is a pre-requisite for the award of a diploma or certificate in the respective course.
It is for this reason that ihti ensures all its qualifying students obtain internship opportunities in leading hotels and resorts, and similar facilities both locally and abroad. ihti enjoys excellent relations with the industry. Given this healthy mutual relationship ihti can send its students for internships in a wide variety of establishments, such as:
- 4 star & 5 star Hotels
- Luxury Resorts
- Safari Lodges
- Fine Dining Restaurants
- Private Member Clubs
- International Congresses & Conferences
- Cruise Ships & Airlines
ihti attach special importance to professional attire. Producing mature all-round responsible professionals is at the core of ihti’s education and training philosophy. Below is a description of our institute’s dress code.
- Ceremonial Attire
- Service Attire
- Kitchen Attire
Join Us Today
We look forward to welcoming you to ihti.Apply Now